Rails to River XC Mountain Bike Race
The Rails to River XC Mountain Bike Race will return to Lake Fairfax in 2023! The R2R is a cross country mountain bike race with racers doing 1, 2, or 3 laps of the approximately 7 mile course.
Race day information sent to riders
Race is SOLD OUT. No race day registration.
Race Date: May 7, 2023 (rain date 6/4/23)
Race Format: XC with 1, 2, or 3 laps (~7 mile per lap)
- Base (1 lap = 7 miles)
- Sport (2 laps = 14 miles)
- Expert (3 laps = 21 miles)
- In each race, we’ll have the following classes: female 19-U, male 19-U, open female, open male, male masters (40+), female masters (40+), male masters (50+), female masters (50+), female singlespeed, male singlespeed, clydesdale (200lb+). Subject to change.
We are separating each race into wave starts with groups of classes to help space out the field.
Lake Fairfax Trail Fund
All the trails at Lake Fairfax Park are primarily built and maintained by volunteers organized by the Mid-Atlantic Off-Road Enthusiasts (MORE). All racers will have the opportunity to donate to the Lake Fairfax Trail Fund during registration.
Race Course Notes
- The race course is roughly 7 miles in length with the start and finish of the course at the large pavilion.
- The elevation change is about 500 feet and there are no significant climbs, although there are numerous shorter ones.
- The race starts heading up the gravel road towards the cricket fields.
- There are a few fairly technical rock sections, but they are short and can easily be walked if needed.
- Lake Fairfax is awesome…come get some!
Registration Fee Includes
Fun and challenging course design, professional race operations, wonderful volunteer support, mechanical support, awesome aid stations, medical support, plentiful post-race food, electric atmosphere, great music, and awards and give-a-ways.
Race Day Schedule
Sunday May 7, 2023
9:00am – Base (1 lap) race start
11:00am – Sport (2 laps) race start
2:00pm – Expert (3 laps) race start
Draft Race Start Procedures (subject to change)
We are separating each race into wave starts to allow enough space to spread out the field of riders. Each wave will be separated by a few minutes. Exact start times will be based on the number of riders in each class.
Lake Fairfax Park
1400 Lake Fairfax Drive
Reston, VA 20190
From Interstate 495 (Capital Beltway):
- Lake Fairfax Park may be reached by taking Beltway Exit 47A which is Route 7 or Leesburg Pike west for approximately 7-8 miles to a left on Baron Cameron Avenue.
- Take the second left on Lake Fairfax Drive which will lead you directly into the park.
- Enter the follow the signs to check-in.
From Interstate 66:
- Take I-66 to Route 286 (Fairfax County Parkway – formerly Rt 7100) towards RESTON/ HERNDON and travel about 9.4 miles.
- Merge onto BARON CAMERON AVE / VA-606 E. Travel about 2.8 miles and turn right onto Lake Fairfax Drive which will lead you directly into the park.
- Enter the park and follow the signs to check-in.
Spring Backyard Burn 5M/10M
Rosaryville Half Marathon/10K
Rails to River MTB Race
Fountainhead Half Marathon/10K
Loudoun 1725 Gravel Grinder
Blue Crab Bolt 5K/10K
XTERRA EX2 Tri/Du
Cranky Monkey MTB Race
Fall Backyard Burn 5M/10M
Rocky Gap 25K-50K-Relay
VentureQuest Adventure Race
Schaeffer Half Marathon/10M